Sunday, August 26, 2012

Starbucks makes great coffee, internet treachery, so I'm not going to pretend there's a poem which compares to pie graphs because, after all, the last review of my writing commented mostly (and negatively) about my weight. by David McGimpsey

If I was to wear your little red square
it would be to commemorate the death
of a dear friend - and if that friend's name
was Reddinger "LaRouge" Crimsonforce.

If I was to express my best days with you
of course I'd mention the shrimp croquettes
but I'd earn my poet's pay in images
of a hurt man trying to talk to a truck.

If I was to go back in time it would be
just before whoever wrote "If I Could
Turn Back Time" for Cher but I would still
come back with a poem much like this.

If I was to sleep all day, I'd give it all
to you and you'd get remarried, remarried
like you used to do! Like you used to chew
licorice red, mon petite square-head.



David McGimpsey lives in Montreal and is the author of five collections of poetry including the recent Li'l Bastard (Coach House Books) which was named as one of the "books of the year" by both The Quill and Quire and The National Post. David teaches creative writing and literature at Concordia University.

No comments:

Post a Comment